Thursday, June 6, 2013

Looking for great summer beach reads of a mysterious bent

Despite the long (and growing) list of books already spilling off my shelves; despite the stack of partially read books piled next to the bed, over-flowing the end tables in the family room, and collecting in the corners of most of the rooms in my house, I still feel like I haven't found the perfect beach read. I'd like to take something good with me this weekend. With two days of milling about in the fields of Kent, CT, I need something quick to read.

The fields of Kent are not well-armed for the 21st Century. There are bugs, too much sun, no wifi, and no guaranteed power source. So I need a paperback book - one that doesn't require being plugged in, one that I can read even if the sun is glaring and bright, one that won't fry if the inevitable rains of Kent, CT should fall.

I've started Hosseini's new novel - And The Mountains Echoed - but I don't think it is quite right for Kent. For one thing, it's hard cover (too heavy for carrying all day) and for another, I fear it will be too intense, too hard to set down if I need to pay attention to the goings on the rally (which IS the reason I'm there after all).

I've also got Hilary Mantel's Bring Up The Bodies - but that also doesn't feel right for Kent. Mantel would be perfect for a longer vacation, or a stretch of rainy weather. Mantel requires a lot of focus and I tend to be tired and scattered at Kent.

I started a cozy - Hounding the Pavement - but am repelled by the talking dogs. Yes, talking dogs. At least in Rita Mae Brown's books - the animals can only talk to each other. . . . this dog walker with a mental connection to dogs is just too weird. And the writing is weak, so I've set that aside.

I came across a review of Keigo Higashino's The Devotion of Suspect X at Mystery Page Turners. It sounds perfect for Kent. I don't know if I can find it at my local Barnes & Noble. . . but I'll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment